Rapid Access Addiction Medication
Want to talk about your substance use?
The Alex has a new Rapid Access Addiction Medicine (RAAM) clinic!
We know it’s hard to talk about your substance use, and how it may be causing problems in your life. Did you know that there are medications available that treat opioid and alcohol use disorder?
Our walk-in RAAM clinic team are here to help you reduce or stop your substance use. We will support you until you are stable and then connect you to longer term services.
Medication | Counselling | Groups
How Do I Start?
• Walk-in or call 403-277-9869 Monday-Friday between 9:00 -11:00 am for an intake (closed Stat holidays).
• If you have an Alberta Health Care card, bring it with you.
• Nervous? Bring a friend or family member with you!
RAAM at The Alex
RAAM is located inside The Alex Community Health Centre
#102 2840 2 Ave SE
(Accessible through Calgary Transit Blue Line LRT – Franklin Station)
Harm reduction tips:
• Always use drugs with others & if possible have one person with you who doesn’t use
• Carry a naloxone kit
• Carry safer sex supplies like condoms
• Do not share pipes, needles or equipment
• Wash your hands
• Make sure you have food and a safe place to sleep after using
• If you are using opioids after any period of abstinence (even just a few days) take a much smaller dose than before
• Do not mix opioids with alcohol or benzos
• If someone appears drowsy, has slurred speech, has blue lips or is nodding off:
• Do not leave them alone
• Do not let them sleep, even if someone is watching them overnight
• Shake them and call their name
• Call 911
• Give them naloxone and start CPR
• Make sure you eat when drinking
• Sip drinks rather than gulping them
• Alternate alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic drinks
• Start drinking later in the day
• Do not drink and drive
You may also be interested in: