COVID –19 (Coronavirus)
STAY INFORMED. REDUCE YOUR RISKS.
Here is some information for you about COVID-19 (Coronavirus). It is important to stay informed and reduce your risks. If you have ANY questions, please ask an Alex staff member.
It’s also important to stay up to date on accurate information available at The Government of Alberta COVID-19 website: www.ahs.ca/covid
Most people recover well from COVID-19, but it can be very serious for the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems.
What can I do to prevent getting COVID-19 and to stop the spread?
• If you are sick, stay home. If you have symptoms like sore throat, fever, runny nose, or cough you must ‘self-isolate’ and stay away from others for 14 days.
• Wash your hands frequently and really well with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
• Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw it in a garbage bin lined with a plastic bag. Wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve.
• Avoid touching your face.
• Stay 2 meters (6 feet) from people who are sneezing or coughing.
• Don’t shake hands, hug or have physical contact with others.
What are the symptoms?
Some symptoms are like the common cold or flu:
• Sore throat
• Runny Nose
More serious symptoms include:
• Extreme tiredness
• Difficulty breathing
How is it spread?
• direct contact with a sick person or with surfaces they have recently touched.
I have symptoms – do I have COVID-19?
There is a self-assessment you can do online at www.ahs.ca/covid
If you have symptoms, and recently:
• traveled outside Canada OR
• had close contact with someone with COVID-19 OR
• had close contact with someone who traveled outside Canada and had symptoms
you should be tested for COVID-19.
You can call 811 or use the online self assessment tool at www.ahs.ca/covid if you are experiencing mild symptoms.
Do not come to The Alex without calling us first at 403-266-2622 so we can prepare for you.
Call 911 if you are seriously ill and need immediate medical attention and inform them that you may have COVID-19.
How do I get tested?
• IMPORTANT! If you think you may have COVID-19 stay home, use the online self-assessment tool, call Health Link 811, or call The Alex directly at 403-266-2622.
• 811 will arrange to get you tested and Alberta Health Services will notify you of the results.
Please remember that while COVID-19 is a serious situation, most people who are infected will only experience mild symptoms and will recover fully. The most important thing we can do is make sure that people who are at high-risk are protected.
We are here to answer any of your questions. Please call us at 403-266-2622