Mobile Health Program
The Alex operates three mobile health units: our Community Health Bus, our Youth Health Bus and our Dental Health Bus.
Community Health Bus (CHB)
The Alex Community Health Bus removes barriers to health care by providing direct services, education, and advocacy free of charge to our City’s most vulnerable in poverty and homelessness. Bus clients have historically encountered many difficulties when attempting to access health care and support services, one of which is transportation to specific medical offices.
For current schedule information, please click here.
The Community Health Bus 2011/2012
- 2,000 clients served
- 8 sites visited weekly
- Staffed by a team of physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and resource workers, the CHB provides wraparound services for our most vulnerable neighbours
- Assessments and follow-up care, including full check-ups and mental health assessments
- Referrals to specialists and community resources
- Education and health promotion
- Pregnancy tests and prenatal care
- An EKG machine to examine patients’ heart rhythms
- Lab equipment for testing
- Equipment to look at lipid profiles or cholesterol levels in the blood
- Ability to test a patient’s blood glucose levels, to test for or monitor diabetes
- Screens to look for evidence of strep throat, which can turn into a dangerous infection
- Urine analysis to test for kidney function and infection
For more information on the Community Health Bus, please contact us at 403-604-9528 or email: email@example.com.
Youth Health Bus (YHB)
The Alex Youth Health Bus brings health care directly to youth who may otherwise face challenges accessing these services. The bus visits 8 schools per week on all regular school days, including exams, Monday through Thursday, making it easy for youth to access the care they need. Staff on the bus use a holistic, compassionate approach to provide physical, emotional, psychological and social support for youth.
For current schedule information, please click here.
The Youth Health Bus 2013/2014
- The YHB visits 8 partner high schools each week
- 1,630 visits were made to the YHB between 2013-2014
- Staffed by a team of physicians, registered nurses and resource workers, the YHB provides wraparound services including referrals for youth
Our doctors, nurses and youth workers offer:
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment, as well as pregnancy testing and support
- Birth control education, prescriptions and supplies
- Referrals to community resources and services
- Mental health support and general medical care
- Someone for youth to talk to and answer their questions
We are grateful for the collaborative support of the Calgary Board of Education, along with all the teachers, counsellors and nurses who help make this service possible.
For more information on the Youth Health Bus, please contact us at 403-520-6270 or 403-689-9196 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dental Health Bus (DHB)
The Alex Dental Health Bus provides essential preventative oral health services and support primarily to children and youth at schools in identified high-need areas. It is estimated that 80% of tooth decay is found in 25% of children, and these children are largely from low-income populations. By providing low-barrier dental care on wheels, The Alex is dramatically improving the quality of life for Calgary’s most vulnerable youth.
Oral Health School Services (OHSS):
- Oral health screenings and referrals
- Sealant treatments
- Fluoride varnish applications
- Oral health education and promotion
OHSS Statistics September 2013-June 2014:
- Visited 31 partner elementary schools (CSSD and CBE)
- Provided over 1118 oral health screenings, 924 students received sealant treatments, 5106 teeth were sealed
- Provided 341 students with fluoride varnish applications
- Provided over 4200 students with oral health education
We are greatly appreciative of our collaboration with the Calgary Board of Education, the Calgary Catholic School District, and the Alberta Health Services community oral health school team.
Preventative Oral Health Clinics (POHC):
Services: oral health screening, scaling, polish, fluoride varnish and education
Partner Agencies: Chinook Learning Centre, Heart of the Northeast Community Resources Centre: Aspen Family Services, all Alex programs.
All POHCs are scheduled at The Alex partner agency locations and are open to children and youth ages 6-24.
Youth ages 13-24 may also refer to The Alex Youth Health Centre for eligibility. For more information, call the youth center at 403-520-6270 or email email@example.com
SMILE Dental Clinics (SDCs):
- All clients seen on the DHB and referred for additional basic dental treatment are eligible to attend a SDC.
- SDCs are conducted in volunteer dental offices, or on the DHB, and provide care at no cost, to clients screened and referred from another DHB program.
- We are deeply grateful to Dr. Matthew Karavos and team for the development and support of the SMILE dental clinics.
Community Days and Events
- To request service or bus participation in an event, please see contact information below
- Eligibility for bus service will be considered on an individual basis
- To find out if a specific school or location will be visited, or to schedule a SDC appointment for a child/youth seen on the DHB, please contact us at 403-615-9052 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The DHB team consists of dental hygienists, a dental assistant/ client resource specialist, p/t driver, as well as numerous dental professional volunteers.
If you would like to participate in or facilitate a SMILES Dental Clinic, or if you have any questions, please contact Program Lead Denise Kokaram at 587-893-1755 or email email@example.com.