Mobile Health ServicesBringing good health to those in need
The right care, in the right place, at the right time
Community Health Bus
The Alex Community Health Bus removes barriers to health care by providing direct services, education, and advocacy free of charge to our City’s most vulnerable in poverty and homelessness. Bus clients have historically encountered many difficulties when attempting to access health care and support services, one of which is transportation to specific medical offices.
- Assessments and follow-up care, including full check-ups and mental health assessments
- Referrals to specialists and community resources
- Education and health promotion
- Pregnancy tests and prenatal care
- An EKG machine to examine patients’ heart rhythms
- Lab equipment for testing
- Equipment to look at lipid profiles or cholesterol levels in the blood
- Ability to test a patient’s blood glucose levels, to test for or monitor diabetes
- Screens to look for evidence of strep throat, which can turn into a dangerous infection
- Urine analysis to test for kidney function and infection
For more information on the Community Health Bus, please contact us at 403-604-9528 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Health Bus
The Alex Youth Health Bus brings health care directly to youth who may otherwise face challenges accessing these services. The bus visits 8 schools per week on all regular school days, including exams, Monday through Thursday, making it easy for youth to access the care they need. Staff on the bus use a holistic, compassionate approach to provide physical, emotional, psychological and social support for youth.
Our doctors, nurses and youth workers offer:
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment, as well as pregnancy testing and support
- Birth control education, prescriptions and supplies
- Referrals to community resources and services
- Mental health support and general medical care
- Someone for youth to talk to and answer their questions
We are grateful for the collaborative support of the Calgary Board of Education, along with all the teachers, counselors and nurses who help make this service possible.
For more information on the Youth Health Bus, please contact us at 403-520-6270 or 403-689-9196 or email: email@example.com.
Dental Health Bus
The Alex Dental Health Bus provides essential preventative oral health services and support primarily to children and youth at schools in identified high-need areas. It is estimated that 80% of tooth decay is found in 25% of children, and these children are largely from low-income populations. By providing low-barrier dental care on wheels, The Alex is dramatically improving the quality of life for Calgary’s most vulnerable youth.
Oral Health School Services
- Oral health screenings and referrals
- Sealant treatments
- Fluoride varnish applications
- Oral health education and promotion
We are greatly appreciative of our collaboration with the Calgary Board of Education, the Calgary Catholic School District, and the Alberta Health Services community oral health school team.
Preventative Oral Health Clinics
Services: Oral health screening, scaling, polish, fluoride varnish and education
Partner Agencies: Chinook Learning Centre, Heart of the Northeast Community Resources Centre: Aspen Family Services, all Alex programs.
All clinics are scheduled at The Alex partner agency locations and are open to children and youth ages 6-24.
Dental Access Clinics
All clients seen on the Dental Health Bus and referred for additional basic dental treatment are eligible to attend a Dental Access clinic. Clinics are conducted in volunteer dental offices, or on the bus, and provide care at no cost, to clients screened and referred from another Alex program.
We are deeply grateful to Dr. Matthew Karavos and team for the development and support of the dental clinics.
If you would like to participate in or facilitate a Dental Clinic, or if you have any questions, please contact Program Lead Denise Kokaram at 587-893-1755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Days and Events
Want to request service or bus participation in an event?
Need to find out if a specific school or location will be visited?
Want to schedule a SMILE clinic appointment for a child/youth seen on the Dental Health Bus?
Please contact us at 403-615-9052 or
#205 1217 Centre St NW
Calgary AB T2E 2R3
CRA# 13282 4905 RR0001